Welcome, welcome one and all. As you can see, I am just wild about tie dyes. Anything tie dyed means I'm gonna at least look. I think that I can pretty much blame my obsession with tie dye on the Grateful Dead. Or, rather should I say, the parking lots full of people that you used to find at Grateful Dead concerts. I remember the first time I really took notice of a tie dye was when a guy I knew came over wearing one. I asked where he got that wicked looking shirt and he replied that another guy he knew made them and toured around with the Dead. I had heard of the Dead and sort of liked some of their stuff. The concert that I first attended was March 31st, 1989. All I can say is "Wow." I was hooked. And, now all of a sudden, I liked every Grateful Dead song. The parking lots were always covered with people selling really, really good looking tie dyes. No one that made them would actually give lessons, so I learned everything that I know from trial and error and by incorporating origami into my thought process as I think about how a fold will come out looking. If you ever want to see some of my tie dyes just click here My Tie Dyes. I'll see y'all tomorrow.
You can always reach me directly at rosavicious@mytiedyes.com
Thursday, August 19, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Dirty, tie dyed Jim says thanks. Remember, life just feels better in tie dyes. Peace.
ReplyDeleteAlthough many different types of colors can be used, most tie-dyers now dye with Procion MX reactive dyes. This class of dyes works at warm room temperature, the molecules permanently bind with cellulose based fibers (cotton, rayon, hemp, linen) and silk, when the pH is high. Soda ash (sodium carbonate) is generally used to raise the pH, and that is added directly to the dye, or a solution of water, where clothing is wet before dyeing. They do not fade with washing, but the sun's rays to obtain the colors fade with time. Put in the freezer to maintain over time.
ReplyDeleteTraditional tie-dye just surviving examples of pre-Columbian Peru, tie-dye from 500 to 800A.D. Their models are small circles and lines, bright colors like red, yellow, blue and green. Shibori in the form of tie-dye which originated in Japan. It's been practiced since at least the eighth century. Shibori includes a number of technologies for labor-intensive, also oppose the development of models of point of collection points, well before staining, which are complex patterns of kimono. Another shibori method is to wrap the rope around the core fabric, wood or other material, and tie tightly with string or wire. The areas of tissue, which is against the center or association remain unblemished.
ReplyDelete